boundaries

            I had an “aha moment” this week.  I was discussing a child’s need for boundaries with some teens. Boundaries help children to feel secure and loved; there is comfort in knowing that someone loves you enough to stop you from doing something harmful.

            It occurred to me that throughout our lives we are looking for the boundaries.  Perhaps they are more like guardrails as an adult; they keep us on track where boundaries are more 360, like a playpen.

 My “aha moment” came when I realized that since Don died the boundaries have felt broken; not that he kept some tight reign on me but with his input I felt safe in the decisions I made.  We always made decisions (especially large ones) together.  After he died, I became autonomous in decision-making and I have to say, it was frightening.  I wanted to hear him say it was okay or that he approved.

We all have personal boundaries instilled in us by our parents, it might be obeying the speed limit, paying all the bills on time, tithing, or getting the oil changed every 3,000 miles.  God instills boundaries for us as well, those boundaries of right and wrong, such as you shall not kill and you shall not steal.  They all keep us on the right track to living a productive, meaningful life.

 God loves us and keeps us safe and also provides an “un” boundary, the one thing we are free to do without bounds is to love.  Love God and love others with boundless vigor.

Luke 10: 25- 28: “On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”

“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece