fruit of love



            After my bible reading this morning, I am wondering what Jesus saw in his disciples that he chose them to be his apostles. He chose fishermen, a tax collector, a physician, and even a traitor among others.  Talk about variety, wow!  He chose pretty average Joes to be his messengers.  He spent time teaching them and demonstrating to them how to love others. Further on in my reading in Luke 6 I read; “43 “No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.  44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit.  People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers.  45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.  For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”  Did he apply this philosophy to his process of choosing disciples? Has he applied this philosophy in choosing me as his child?

            So, now I look at my life.  What is the fruit I am bearing?  So often, I feel as though I am just treading water to get through the day therefore it is amazing to me that God sees something in me to love.  Yet, I believe we were created to love and be loved.  When we have God, who loves unconditionally why do we feel love is something to be earned?  Love should be given freely.  Love is the gift anyone can give no matter what her financial condition. While we have the above analogy of bearing fruit as a means of discernment, we also have the command to love others as we love ourselves no matter what fruit they bear.  We are even to love our enemies.  I really think God is onto something here, love really is the answer to just about question.  May we all bear the fruit of love.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece