a cozy holiday



            I grew up listening to or reading Luke 2 at Christmas time. It is the story of events surrounding the birth of Jesus. It is certainly beloved and meaningful to me. Christmas time just gives me that cozy feeling; basking in the glow of the lights from the tree, sharing love and laughter with family and friends, feeling especially pleased and eager to see the face of a loved one when she opens my idea of the perfect gift.  I usually get more pumped about Christmas than I do about Easter and I started considering that. I think it is because when Easter rolls around I come face to face with my sins and their consequences on Good Friday. None of us enjoy being confronted by our wrongs.

            It occurs to me, however, that even though the pain of the cross isn’t as obvious on Christmas and we see Jesus as a beautiful baby boy, there is confrontation. I must confront the fact that Jesus had to leave paradise and take on human form, for me. Perhaps you have been at a celebration of some kind and had to leave early for a mundane reason. Remember your disappointment? I imagine (were it not for his love for us) Jesus might have experienced a similar but magnified disappointment; to leave the realms of paradise and be constrained by a human body, born of a virgin, into a humble family and sleeping in a feeding trough, wow. Jesus did that for you and me, not grudgingly but lovingly. He really is the best Christmas present we will ever receive.



Luke 2: 6-7:   “While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.”


Comments

  1. Love your post today because in the past with Mary and Melissa we also read Luke before opening gifts to help us remember Jesus and His gift to us. Thanks Jody and may you and your family be blessed and receive all of God's grace this be blessed season. Pax Carl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece