rejoice?

            Things do not appear to be going my way lately.  This causes me to grumble and whine my prayers to God.  As I considered this today, I began to think about ways to change my perspective; perhaps I have been looking at my life all wrong.  Initially, I considered, the things I was praying for were all good things and why won’t God answer my prayers my way?  What reason could there be for him not to be in agreement with me? My struggles are not monumental by any means but they impact my life so they are important to me.

            So, I took a step back and tried to listen.  What I heard was to pick up my bible and open it.  When I asked where to open it to, I heard Romans 5.  (This is not the norm for me but I heard these two things very distinctly.) Mind you, I am pretty familiar with my bible but lately, I haven’t been opening it as often as I should.

            Right from the beginning of the chapter, God got my attention: “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Peace with God! Earthly worries rob us of that peace.  Then moving on to verse three, “Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”

            Wow, rejoice in suffering? Yet, when one takes into account the fruit produced through suffering, rejoicing is important. Rejoicing in struggles is a way to step out in faith.  After gaining this perspective, I offered a prayer of thanksgiving for the insight. I am working to put my struggles into perspective as well.  May we all persevere with joy in the knowledge that God cares to shape our character and give us hope.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece