Examples


            I keep reading that all the people we meet, we meet for a reason. To a certain degree I agree with this, it validates the idea that our lives have meaning, something we all look for in life. As a Christian, I quite frequently believe the reason for meeting someone is so that I can be an example for others, which isn’t a bad idea when it produces positive behaviors. However, it is not always true; there are people I meet who teach me things, people who do not claim Christianity can be placed in my path to teach me and not just as a bad example. I know many people who do very admirable things and behave in upstanding ways that serve others even without proclaiming Christ.

            In my youth, I was taught that non-believers cannot do good things because good things are the work of the Spirit. This puzzled me a lot. I have met non-believers who do fabulous things and Christians who behave very poorly and vice versa. It occurs to me that God works through everyone, believer or not. Just because someone doesn’t admit that God is real doesn’t mean that God doesn’t move in her life. God is not limited by human beings.

            Living our Christianity out loud is a wonderful goal. The fly in the ointment happens when we get so busy living out loud that we drown out what we can learn from others. We cannot be so determined to be right that we miss the value of other human beings and the lessons they can share with us. Christians are often accused of being closed minded; yes, we have a narrow path to walk but that does not mean we should be deaf, we can have discussions. Allow the fruits of the Spirit blossom in you; love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness and faithfulness. Demonstrating those fruits is what will draw people to want to learn from us.

 Let that other person tell you why they believe what they do and then explain why you believe what you do, with love and respect.

            1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece