Passionate Christian


            My husband, Don, knew from a young age what his passion was and he never wavered from his passion. (FYI – it was clay and pottery) I was always a bit envious of him for having that knowledge and direction and frequently told him that he had received a very special blessing. Even now, in my fifties, I am not entirely certain of my “passion”. I know that I enjoy writing, I enjoy being a Mom, and being a nurse, but passion? It occurs to me now; do I “enjoy” being a Christian? Do you? Let’s one up that, are we “passionate” Christians?

            What does it look like to be a passionate Christian? If we look at the life of Christ, we see our servant king exemplifying what I think the passionate Christian life looks like. Christ lived a pretty reserved life, grew up in a small town and was generally a quiet guy. He didn’t draw attention to himself and actually discouraged others from doing it as well. Christ lived his life, passionately loving others, not as a media event but as a way of life, period. Jesus healed the sick (Jairus’ daughter among many others), he educated the people (sermon of the Mt of Olives), he demonstrated compassion defending the underdog (think of the adulterous woman), he offered correction without condemnation (go and sin no more) and so much more.

            We live in a world that tells us we need to draw attention to ourselves and be recognized for our actions. That pressure or lack of recognition can make us feel like failures and want to give up. Galatians 6:9 says, “Let us not become weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.” This, my friends is the passionate Christian life. If you have a particular God given gift of which you are passionate, find a way to use it to serve others and you will be doubly blessed.

            One more verse to keep in mind from Matthew6:2-4 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then, your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” And THAT is a reward worth seeking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece