It's coming


            The turkey has been reduced to leftovers, the extended family has made their way back to their own dwelling and Thanksgiving Day is behind us once again. That means I can play my Christmas music without shame (been playing it since August) and I have begun the process of decorating my home. Even though my life has not been going the way I’d like it to go this year, the advent season puts a spring in my step and a smile on my face. Yet, every which way I turn; I am greeted with sounds of disgust regarding the approach of Christmas from non-believer and believer alike.

            This state of affairs truly demonstrates how easily we can miss the joy of Christianity as it gets camouflaged by worldly objects and concerns. Focus on the nativity rather than the native shopper. Let the light of the star over Bethlehem be in your heart and mind rather than the flashing light of the cash register ringing up purchases. When the hustle and bustle seek to destroy your peace, find a quiet place and contemplate the verses of Luke chapter 2 or Silent Night. Remember, Jesus is the reason for the season and keep Christ in Christmas. (I know it’s cliché but it works.) Take yourself back to a childhood memory, perhaps performing in your first kids Christmas program?

            The next time someone bah humbugs your holiday spirit, send up a prayer for that person, smile and remind them that they are blessed and loved. As I write this, I am sitting in my living room by the colored lights of my tree and a few candles burning, Christmas music playing softly. I can think of no other place I’d rather be or state of mind I’d rather be in. Christmas really is my favorite time of year. Even though, outside this room outside this moment, my life is not going as I’d like it to, I know I am loved and that love came to earth in the form of a baby wrapped in swaddling clothes. God so good!

            “Glory to God in the highest and peace on earth good will towards men.” Luke 2:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece