Little lamb


“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6

            I was brought up in a Christian home and went to a parochial school for my elementary education. Many of my best memories revolve around praise music. In our school, it was a privilege to take part in the choirs. We had the cherub choir for the lower grades and the children’s choir for the upper grade. I was also treated to songs from the hymnal at home, especially at bedtime as my sisters would serenade me to sleep, (Three girls in one bedroom).
I had a much better grasp of praise music than I did secular music (still true today).

            So many of my childhood memories revolve around participating in the choirs. My earliest one was being in the cherub choir; I was probably about seven years old. We were singing at an evening service. The choir always sat in the balcony, this particular evening near the end of service, the power went out in church. A quick thinking teacher and choir director kept about 30 young children calm by instructing us that as the choir it was our job to keep the congregation calm and we could do that by singing. We launched into the song, “I am Jesus Little Lamb” lyrics by Henriette L. von Hayden. It kept us occupied while the elders found flashlights and our parents made their way to the balcony to claim us. This song 45+ years later remains my go to song whenever I am stressed or feeling anxious.

            The older I get, the more I realize how blessed I am to have been raised in such a way. I always know that God is my #1 resource; actually he is my source…for everything.


“I am Jesus little lamb, ever glad at heart I am;

For my Shepherd gently guides me. Knows my need, and well provides me,

Loves me every day the same, even calls me by my name.

Day by day, at home, away, Jesus is my Staff and stay,

When I hunger, Jesus feeds me, into pleasant pastures leads me;

When I thirst he bids me go, where the quiet waters flow.

Who so happy as I am, even now, the Shepherd’s lamb?

And when my short life is ended, by his angel hosts attended,

He shall fold me to his breast, there within his arms to rest.”

 

Comments

  1. Thank God for a Christian upbringing. The Christian way of life is the best way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece