For or with?

            Have you ever experienced something so wonderful that you couldn’t decide whether to share it with the world or to hoard it for yourself? It is as if giving it away will somehow lessen the experience. I frequently feel that way about my relationship with God, it is intensely personal, especially my prayers. Praying allows me to spill it all before the Lord. I don’t want to spill it all with another human being. You see, God keeps my secrets, he cherishes my praise and he readily forgives my sins.
            There are some moments too special, you can share them with another but they really don’t get it because it isn’t the same as being there. You know how it goes; trying to share a funny story and you’re laughing so hard, you finally get the story out and your friend just grins. Then you say, “I guess you had to be there.” But when I share with God it is so deep and intimate because he was there! He is always there! I love those moments.
            Matthew 6:6 “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”
            However, prayer is also meant to be shared between people. Praying with someone is a very sincere gift that can bring peace and healing. We ought to find the balance between our personal and shared prayers. I will be the first to admit that praying aloud with another person can be outside the comfort zone. Unless one is in a bible study group where prayer is expected, we usually tell people we will ‘keep you in my prayers,’ I know I do this. I really do my best to pray for them too. Wouldn’t it be better to pray with them, right then, right there?
            James 5:13,14 “Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.”

            As we bring our current year to close, it is natural to consider how one might improve herself for the new year. I believe my resolve will be to offer to pray with people in their moment of need rather than to pray for them at some undetermined time in the future. To add, ‘may I pray with you?’ to my conversational skills. Prayer does not have to be eloquent words, simple phrases with a sincere heart will do more than suffice, they will be heard and they will make a difference. 

Comments

  1. A talk with God may be the oldest form of communication. Adam talked with God and we today continue to be strengthened and reassured in our prayers with God. It is very comforting to know that just as there is order in the material world there is order (possibly an even higher level of order) in the spirit world and God is ultimately the most powerful being at the very top. It gives my life hope and direction as I move forward to a change from flesh and blood to spirit form. 1 Corinthians 15:50-54.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jody could I nudge you into writing the first one for 2016? Could I Please nudge you into writing the first one for 2016?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece