Fear Not

            Are you like me? Does the media frustrate you, whether liberal or conservative? The bias is everywhere and it causes one to wonder if we ever hear the real story. Why do they choose to promote the news stories that they do? As I write this we have just experienced another mass shooting, yes, that is news. It concerns me however, that it becomes the sole focus and creates a tunnel vision that leads many to the idea that there is nothing good in America. While I am not by any means discounting those who were injured or killed, we, who believe in salvation through Christ should not take part in fear mongering. “Do not fear” is in the bible more than 300 times. It also reminds us that “in this world you will have trouble…” (John 16:33) but it goes on to say “…But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
            A hymn that has often brought me comfort is, I’m but a Stranger Here; Heaven is My Home. Yes, people are hurt, sick, and dying every day but there are so many more who are healthy, happy and living productively. You are one of those people. Maybe we can’t stop gunman or terrorists but we can make beautiful and safe the place that we are today. We do that by sharing the love of Christ, sharing the gift of salvation.
            Something I heard the other day has stuck with me. If you got a fantastic gift such as a new car or a computer; you would be eager to share that news with your friends and neighbors. Why can’t we be just as eager to share the gift of salvation? It is the gift of eternity in heaven, in the presence of God! Salvation is for everyone to choose but they cannot choose if they do not know. Think about the victims of the shootings, what if you knew one of them and knew that he/she didn’t know Jesus, the chance to tell them has past. The time is now.
            It is easier said than done, I’ll be the first to admit that. Yet, if we walk the talk, we will create open doors to share the news of salvation. People will come to us and ask us to share our secret for a peace-filled life. It doesn’t have to be a sermon, we simply tell our stories; how our faith in Jesus has shaped our lives. How our faith in salvation gives us confidence. We have something so much greater to look forward to, this life is temporal

            Philippians 1:20-22 “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in this body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know.”
      To God be the glory!

Comments

  1. Matthew 10:28 admonishes us to "not be afraid of those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul. Rather be in fear of the one who can destroy both soul and body in hell." And 2 Corinthians 4:18 says: "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. We should be fearless of anything shortening the visible portion of our existence. It could be cancer, heart attack, gunshot, accident, drowning, or shark attack. In the scheme of eternity, this brief visible existence pales by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Thank you Jody for this blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Thank you Jody for this blog! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece