Distractions

            The last few days have been scattered for lack of a better word. I feel like I am in a world of shiny things that continually distract me. Some distractions are worthy like helping a friend in need. Other distractions not so much. It has been sort of like a week for celebrating Murphy’s Law, things that could go wrong, did. Mind you, nothing that went wrong was truly devastating, just frustrating. Even though these frustrations were minor they got into my head and festered a bit. I found myself with difficulty concentrating on things including my prayers.
            My prayers tend to be all day conversations with God anyway but this week the interruptions in conversation were lasting longer than normal. When I struggle in this manner my tactic is usually to remember and recall any bible verses I know and recite them to myself.  It is a way to center myself. I found it difficult to do it this week. I could come up with the gist of a verse but not the actual words.
            James 4:8 “Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” How does that term ‘double-minded’ strike you? To me, it exemplifies attempting to live for God and man at the same time. My distractions were earthly things that I honestly had no control over anyway.  Why fret? Well, it’s what I do sometimes. Things have come back to an organized place and I trust that the delay in plans are part of God’s will; probably what I should have done all week anyway.
            So, how do we not be ‘double-minded’? Philippians 4 gives us wonderful guidance for this;
Verses 4-8 “Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: rejoice. Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy –think about such things.”

            We can rest knowing that God is in charge, such a praiseworthy thought!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece