keeping score



                I am at that age when memory is starting to become an issue and lists become common place. However, there are certain things I have a more difficult time forgetting, usually they are offenses I have perceived as being committed by another against me. Why is that?  I want to forget them and move forward, yet when something similar occurs or that person enters my personal space, that old offense rears its ugly head. I will allow something which should have been forgotten to color my actions or reactions. Do you do that?
                Jeremiah 31:34b “…declares the Lord, ‘For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”  As I have contemplated this verse this morning, I marvel that God could be so intentionally forgetful. Especially when I sin continually! There are some sins I committed years ago with which Satan still taunts me, accusing me of being too horrible for God to love.  Fortunately, God’s word reminds me again and again that God loves me and he does forgive me. He sent his son to die for me, for my sins. Jesus atones for me. If you look closely at the word atone it breaks down to ‘at one’ Jesus makes us at one with God.
                I believe the key is that God is intentionally forgetful of our sins. We need to model this same behavior. Hang onto the good stuff like the hug you received from your friend. Let go of the offenses such as a word poorly chosen. Keep it in the perspective of what God remembers and what he forgets and do likewise. We make choices about being offended and the choice to be so is really rather ego-centric. Our world should revolve around God; when we choose to be offended we are revealing that we feel the world revolves around us. That is not to say we must take true verbal or physical abuse without being offended, we should deal with the conflict lovingly, stand your ground but don’t go for the jugular of your offender.  Stick to the truth and set emotion to the side; this is sound advice in any relationship: marriage, friendship, family, co-worker and even the stranger.
                Try to remember your shopping list but let go of the offenses scorecard, you will be more content with your life and you will be blessed.

Comments

  1. Isaiah 1:18 is quite vivid in stating: "Come now let us settle the matter", says the Lord. Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." This could be the inspiration for "Snow White and the 7 dwarfs" released on 2/4/1938.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece