Awkward


            I was probably about six years old when I made the most wonderful gift purchase of my life. I remember handing over my grubby dollar bills as the person at the counter handed me the most beautiful key chain that I knew would just make my big brother so happy. The key chain was basically a large clear marble with gold flecks inside, it probably weighed half a pound, I was mesmerized. At six years old, I never gave consideration to the fact that Mike would have this miniature ball and chain to lug around. All I saw was this beautiful unique gift. I remember being so eager to see him open the gift but I really can’t remember how he reacted, which leads me to think he was not as impressed as I was with my selection.

            Looking back I can see how awkward that key chain was. The perspective of a six year old is so different than that of an adult. The same is true for spiritual infants and seasoned people of faith. For people new to faith or unsure of their faith, they may have the perspective that when they hit a rough patch in life, God doesn’t love them or isn’t paying attention. It is a common question; how can a loving God allow this to happen?

            There are many situations that occur for which we have no explanation; why does a young person get killed by a drunk driver? Why does that nice person get an incurable disease? On and on the questions go. That is when faith becomes so crucial and we must trust God knows what is happening and he has a plan. Having faith doesn’t give anyone an easy life but it does offer comfort and coping skills that help to traverse the rough road we may be walking. The word faith means complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Have confidence; God is good, all the time!

 

1 Peter 2:1-3 “Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece