I am...


So, I have been watching Oprah’s Life class with Joel Osteen and the theme is that “Whatever words follow ‘I am’ is sure to catch up with you.”  I feel this connects with the previous post on identity.  If your words are I am fat, I am tired, I am worthless and so on, those issues will catch up with you.  This sounds a lot like self-fulfilling prophecy to me but I do believe there is good to be gleaned from it.  What has really spoken to me is the phrase “I am” this is how God introduces himself to his people.  When Moses asks, who shall I say sends me?  God says, Tell them I am sends you.  (paraphrased)
Do not get me wrong, I am not saying we are God but we are his children.  What if we mentally put the word “God” in place of “I am”?  We wouldn’t speak ill of God, we would never say God is worthless, would we?  Is it possible that doing this small trick would stop us from speaking poorly about ourselves? You see, God does not want us to beat ourselves up with negative adjectives and accusations, that is Satan’s trick.  God wants us to speak well of each other and ourselves.  We are supposed to encourage and build each other up.  If we cannot do it for ourselves maybe, we can start with encouraging others and work toward building up ourselves.  We are Jesus to the world.  How much brighter will our lights shine if we live our lives with positive confidence?  Therefore, how will you complete this…I am….
1 Thessalonians 5:9-11” For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.  He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece