Identity


I was recently challenged by a message which has been on my mind ever since.  What is my identity?  When I first meet someone, how do I introduce myself?  What is the first thing I want them to know about me?  Moreover, I have discovered I have a shifting identity based upon the person I am meeting.  Even my blog profile demonstrates this; I am a nurse, a writer, a Mom, a widow, a student, a traveler and a Christian woman.  Ultimately, though, I should always find my identity in being a child of God, redeemed, saved and dearly loved. How would I be different, how would my world be different if I maintained that base, regardless of the company I keep? 

We all want to be loved or at least liked.  The great news is that we are!  In my loneliness, I often think of what I don’t have (the shoulder to lean on, the hug of a good man, a hand to hold) can I change my thinking?  Can I remember what I do have?  (The love of Christ, redemption, salvation and eternity in heaven).  Living spiritually in a temporal world is the cross we bare as Christians. This is what it is to die daily to Christ, to pick up our crosses and follow him. Am I strong enough for the task?  Not in the least.  Yet, daily I pray that he will help me.  Usually my prayers consist of asking for a crutch like giving me another mate, AND THEN I will be able to do it.  Wrong!  Yes, we are to be in community with each other but not above being in community with God himself.

I have no great words of wisdom as to how to do this.  We used to have a sign on our refrigerator that said, ‘If you don’t like the way you feel, change the way you think.” I want to try to start there.  Instead of seeing spiritual living as a challenge, I want to look at it as an opportunity. Instead of looking for what I don’t have, I hope to focus on what I do have.  Instead of feeling unloved and alone, I will recognize the love of Christ and that I am never alone. May God grant me the consistency to follow through on these ideas.  May God bless you too!  We are the children of God, rejoice!

Comments

  1. Jody you always hit the nail on the head.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece