Judging


            When I was a pre-teen, I was given my eldest brother’s bible, he had been killed in an electrocution accident. I ran my fingers over the gold embossed letters of his name lovingly.  I recall being fascinated by the fact it was a red-letter bible, meaning that the words of Christ were in red. I opened the book to this verse: Matthew 7:1,2 “Do not judge or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” I remember feeling as though it was a revelation; a piece of wisdom that could serve me well. It is a verse that frequently passes through my thoughts even now. Judging is something with which I struggle. It just seems to happen automatically; I try not to speak my judgments out loud, but God knows the judgments I make even in my mind.
            There is a big difference between using good judgement and being judgmental. Not placing oneself in a troublesome situation is good judgment. Looking at a group of people and assuming they are no good based on appearance is judgmental. Being judgmental lacks love and compassion. None of us knows what another has gone through or is going through in life. We often assume we know, but we all know what assuming does; breaking down the word assume = It makes an ass of u and me. Exodus 20:16 “You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.”  This is one of God’s commandments. The explanation of this in Luther’s Small Catechism says: “We should fear and love God so that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, slander him or hurt his reputation, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain everything in the kindest way.”
            Tearing someone else down will never build us up. It only reflects on us as petty gossips. It is a daily battle for me, as certain thoughts populate my brain before I have the opportunity to take them captive. We are human; my personal feeling is this demonstrates original sin; these thoughts enter the mind automatically. (Although not an excuse.) The best I can hope for is to keep the thought from exiting through my mouth and to ask forgiveness from God. Proverbs 31:8,9 “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the right of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” So, not only should I not speak my unkind thoughts, I should be speaking kindly and in defense of my neighbor.
            Who is my neighbor you ask? Any other human being I have the privilege with whom to be in contact, however brief that contact may be. (I’m speaking to myself as much as any reader.) Current culture has divided people in so many ways; race, religion, male, female, straight, gay, Democrat, Republican and multiple other ways. Our challenge is to get away from categories of people and get to know the individuals. One on one is so much better than mob to mob. Are we voicing true concern to the individual or belly aching to the like-minded? When we lump people into a group, we dehumanize them and that always leads to trouble. No matter who you are or who they are; God loves you both!
            1 Corinthians 13:7 “Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” A good rule of thumb is; if you can’t say it to the individual, you shouldn’t say it to anyone else. If you are the outspoken type who can say it to the individual, you might take it a step further and ask yourself if it will benefit the person before you speak it. This world has enough negative, as Christians we need to bring the light and hope of eternity into the world.
            To God be the glory!
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece