Marking time


            Marking time; today is 9/11 a date that invokes tragic memories in the heart of every American who was alive eighteen years ago. Most of know exactly where we were when we heard the news; I was sitting at an intersection waiting for a left turn signal. There is something about tragedy that gets embossed on ones’ mind. When I consider the events of my life, I can recall intimate details that I am unable to at any other time. I must dig in my mind to recall what I had for lunch two days ago, but I remember the smell of fresh paint in my house 46 years ago when we received the call my brother had been killed in an accident.
            I have been contemplating what we humans do on anniversaries of events. We mark time. But we also mark time for inconsequential days. How many days until the weekend, until vacation, even how many hours until the end of my shift? We are extremely time conscious individuals; I think even more so in America than other countries. What is it about being in the present moment that is so difficult? This train of thought led me to consider eternity; what is that going to be like? It’s eternity; no clocks, no calendars, however will we cope? Our time on earth is temporary; it could be a hundred years or a hundred minutes but there is purpose in whatever time we have. I looked up the animal with the shortest lifespan; it is a Mayfly (never heard of it before) they live 24 hours and spend that time in reproduction and dancing together in groups on any available surface. What an image that produces in my mind; such a short span of time and they spend it dancing together!
            Ecclesiastes 3:11, 12 “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and do good while they live.” The verses proceeding this are familiar to everyone about how there is a season for every event under heaven. (Thanks to the Byrds, Turn, turn, turn. You’re humming it now, aren’t you?)  But Solomon put his finger on something quite poignant, we have eternity in our hearts. Deep down, we know beyond a doubt that there is more than this earthly life to be experienced. I am saddened by those who believe this is all there is, what a disappointing and shallow existence.
            Even though we know eternity is beyond this earthly life; we should still live this earthly experience with purpose. I believe our purpose is to see God and his majesty in all aspects of our lives and to be in community with each other. 1 Thessalonians 5:13b-18 “Live in peace with each other. And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  The idea of giving thanks in all circumstances can be hard to swallow and even harder to carry out. When finances are tight, and everything is going wrong what am I supposed to be thankful for? Honestly, it can be really difficult, and my thanks is sometimes superficial but that is when marking time might come in handy. Anything we experience on earth is truly temporary, it will not last forever (even when it feels that way.) It might be just making it to payday or surviving a bad workday. We can be thankful for our temporal existence, thankful for time, thankful that a blissful eternity awaits us through Jesus Christ.
            Research evidence supports the idea of thankfulness as having health benefits. Being grateful and recognizing what we are grateful for (and there is ALWAYS something for which to be grateful) promotes a happier and more resilient life. There are days when we will need to dig deep and get creative or be begrudgingly thankful but going the direction of grateful opposed to the direction of woe is me, will always produce a better result. I want to encourage you to be in the moment; put down your phone or book or what ever and look around you; appreciate the gifts you have like the gift of sight, the colors you see and the scents you smell and the people who grace your life, even the difficult ones. You only have the moment you are in right now; don’t wish away your time or simply mark it. Live with the intention to love God, your life, your family and yourself right now.
            To God be the glory!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece