Wind

            It has been a few months since my last blog entry. It was a summer of funerals for me. While I don’t dwell on grief I must admit it took the wind out of my sails so to speak. Yet, it is wind that I want to focus on tonight.
            I have this association between wind and the Holy Spirit. It goes back a few years to when I tried to learn New Testament Greek. The Greek word for Spirit is “pneuma” which also translates to wind. It is so appropriate! We can’t see wind but we can see what the wind affects. As I write this Hurricane Matthew is slogging the southeastern coastline. It has been windy all week in Northern Illinois, I love the feel of air movement, I can tolerate heat if there is a breeze.
            In medical terms “pneuma” relates to the lungs, more wind. If you have ever had the “wind knocked out of you” the connection is obvious. We need the wind in our lungs to make ourselves heard as wind must pass through the vocal chords to create voice. We also need the Holy Spirit to give us the voice to testify. Without him we are unable to even say that Jesus is Lord.
            After my summer of funerals; I have been praying for a fresh breath of air from the Holy Spirit to lift me and enable me to feel something greater than the ordinary. It occurred to me this week while walking in the park and the tree tops were waving at me that my life (yours too) really is beyond ordinary. We look beyond the present to eternity, we anticipate something far greater than we can imagine. It is instilled in our souls, that place where Christ resides and the Holy Spirit dwells.
Ecclesiastes 3:11 “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece