Eyes wide shut

            Have you ever considered the phrase; eyes wide shut? There are so many social injustices in the world that it would likely take days to list them all; hunger, poverty, abuse, rape, murder, abortion, unemployment, inequality, debilitating diseases, pharmaceutical robbery, drug addictions, the 2 party system and on and on. If we sit back and think about all of them we can become quite depressed or even worse quite complacent. With so many causes in the world how does one take a stand for social justice? It has long been my belief that we should choose one or two on which to take a vigorous stand against. This tends to mean we close our eyes to the others; eyes wide shut. We know they exist but we do not take any stand.
            It is so overwhelming! There are no plausible excuses for many of these causes, other causes present opposing views. I have my personal beliefs about these issues and I align my beliefs with scripture as best as I am able. However, I am also an anti-conflict sort of person, I don’t like to argue. For some of these situations the other side can also present valid arguments which make it difficult for me to stand my ground. But ultimately, as a Christian, if I am standing on the word of God that other side is not truly valid. It is a struggle. Ultimately, it is between God and the individual. My role is not to judge, it is rather to love the individual and offer good counsel whenever possible. But is it enough? Or is it a cop-out?
            James 2:12, 13 “Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.” This is followed in verses 15-17 “Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them ‘Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”

            We are called to action as a demonstration of faith. Our actions must be filled with mercy and love. These are demonstrated by meeting a person where she is, walking alongside her and embracing her. In doing so, it is not condoning the wrong but demonstrating what is right, love and mercy are always right. I am not qualified to tackle a nation of problems but I am qualified to love, it may be just one person at a time but it still causes heaven to rejoice! 
            Open my eyes Lord to see my role in the fight for justice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece