Long haul

            I am not one who typically watches the stock market rise and fall. However, I do have a 401K retirement account I keep an eye on since I want to be prepared for retirement (it is getting closer all the time.) The last few weeks have been brutal on my retirement fund; it is a bit frightening. What I hold onto is a bit of financial wisdom given to me when I first began my 401K; remember “You’re in it for the long haul.” There will be ups and downs, don’t panic just hold on.
            That is how I am feeling right now about my Christian living; I’m in it for the long haul -eternity! There are plenty of ups and downs in the Christian life. It can be tough to hold my head up when I feel under attack. Attack may be a strong word but when there are so many accusations thrown around on social media I have an internal battle of do I defend or ignore?
            Anyone who knows me personally can tell you I am non-confrontational. When I get angry and upset I become tongue tied and a fog of steam clouds my thinking. The last thing I want to do is say the wrong thing or escalate an argument. So, I hold to the theory of just hold on. The time will come when the right words will be at my disposal and I can approach a situation in love. I grew up in a tumultuous household, yelling and anger cause me to shrink, I know that about myself. God has given me the ability to treat people with hospitality and love. He has given others the ability to speak authoritatively, and defend with strength. We all have different gifts to be used in a variety of ways. The common thread that runs through all the gifts, is the gift of truth, God’s truth. If we hold on for the long haul and live and speak the truth; we are living according to God’s plan. It is the wisest investment anyone can make.

            Ephesians 4: 14-16 “Then we will no longer be infants, blown and tossed by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.”

Comments

  1. Thanks, Jody. Your message is a good reminder to trust in the faithfulness of God.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece