Contrasts



There is a reason that this blog is “meandering”; I often begin thinking on one topic and soon find myself somewhere else entirely different. As I was walking today I found the sun to be much warmer than I had imagined it would be in the early morning. (Early is a relative term.) I was quite pleased when I stepped into the shade and was quickly cooled. So began this meandering.
I thought; would I appreciate the shade had it not been for the heat of the sun? Or enjoy a day with free time had I not had a day filled with planned activities? Eventually, I pondered the questions that most philosophers approach at some time or another; can there be good without evil? It is in experiencing contrast that we have greater appreciation for anything. Without contrast all things blend together into a homogenous blandness. Yet, when I consider good and evil I am reminded that the bible tells us in Genesis that at one time the world was good, and after God created man he declared it “very good”.
Genesis 1:31 “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.
Then, in the very next chapter we read about the Garden of Eden and that at the center of the garden are the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. I wonder why God ever put that tree there? I suppose it was a necessity in order to give us free will. How much free will is needed if there is no choice to be made?
Genesis 2:9 “The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
We compare and contrast throughout our lives. We cite who is better and who is worse. Who has more and who has less. Who is good and who is evil. We also choose when to be positive or negative, happy or sad. And on and on it goes. We must remember our cups are neither half empty nor half full; they are overflowing!
(I told you my mind meanders J )

Comments

  1. That's admirable. It's the scenic route and it always leads us back to the heart of the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a meandering mind myself or possibly I'm just adhd. Either way I truly loved how you brought us to God's love and generosity. You are a gifted writer. Thank you for blessing us by sharing your meandering thoughts! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a meandering mind myself or possibly I'm just adhd. Either way I truly loved how you brought us to God's love and generosity. You are a gifted writer. Thank you for blessing us by sharing your meandering thoughts! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece