Remember



                Our first Christmas as a married couple twenty-nine years ago, Don and I began the tradition of choosing three “special” ornaments each year.  As the years progressed and our family multiplied the task of choosing ornaments went to our daughters, eventually, we no longer had room on our trees for the traditional glass ball ornaments, all our ornaments were (are) special. 
                Today, I am decorating for Christmas, hanging all the special ornaments I have room for. I just spread the cotton roll over my mantle which I have had for twenty-three years, it is grayed with age but I don’t feel the need to change it. In fact, I have a certain pride about the fact that we have had it so long.  So many memories wrapped up in these decorations, stirring up smiles, sentimentality and the occasional misty eye since Don is no longer here physically to share in the new memories being made.  
                Life goes on; this was a hard principal to digest after his death.  I remember walking through a store and seeing people shopping and conversing and wanting to scream; “Stop! Don’t you know the love of my life is gone?”  It wasn’t fair; I had to keep doing the mundane things of life.  But each mundane thing I did was a step to climb back to the reality that I am still here on earth, still alive. 
                These days, memories bring more smiles than tears and I am thankful for them.  The word ‘remember’ appears in the bible more than 200 times. God repeatedly tells us to remember him, his words and his actions. Memories are the most special ornaments of our lives, they don’t break, they cannot be stolen or perish in disasters. They are the most special gift because each one’s memory is uniquely one’s own.  God uses our memories to bring us comfort and to remind us that he provides for our needs. Cherish your memories and pass them along to your children and grandchildren, reminding them of the greatness of God in your life. 

“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.  I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”  Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God?  You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples. With your mighty arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.”
 Psalm 77:11-15

               

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece