The Pickle Jar


            Most of us are familiar with the object lesson of the pickle jar. First, one fills the jar with large rocks, then adds smaller gravel, then adds sand and to prove the point one finally adds water.  This demonstrates that there is room for everything in your life. However, the order of things is important. The large rocks represent the most important things; family, friends, God. The gravel represents things like; job, hobbies, vehicles and so on. And on it goes. Yet, if the water is put in first, none of those top priority things will fit in the jar.

            I have had times in my life where my God priority changes from the large rock to the gravel, still high on the list but not the priority he should be. I am not proud of this fact. Since I have been a life-long Christian I sometimes envy those who became Christians later in life; they have that moment of enlightenment, the epiphany of just how great God is. While I too have had similar moments, recognizing the blessings of God I somehow feel cheated to not have that aha moment of embracing God. That little bit of regret can overshadow all that I do have in my faith life. And that my friends, is where the water in the jar comes into play.

            As mentioned before, there is room in our lives for everything. That includes doubts, fears, failures and similar things which I equate with the water in the jar. But you know what?  If you wait on the Lord (stand on the rock) that water eventually evaporates. More water will come but we need not fear, God stands firm and if we stand on his promises we can rest easy, knowing that God will use that water to grow us in character and faith.

1 Corinthians 4: 7-9 “But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.  We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.”

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece