Sense


            In my previous post I mentioned my weakness for chocolate. I tried to do better this past week but, yet again I failed. You see, I have a tongue that likes to be the boss of my body; it frequently argues with my brain, my stomach and my joints. Today, the argument is between my knee and my tongue. My tongue has been winning in its temper tantrums for Diet Coke and chocolate and today my knee decided it was time to speak up to let me know it is time for water and complex carbs. (My knee is very wise.)

            There are times my tongue prefers to be independent, it desires counsel from nothing. This can be a problem when it cuts loose without the consideration of the brain first. My brain always wants to throw common sense into the mix while the tongue takes great pride in a quick (usually sarcastic) comeback. Regret often follows. If I can control my tongue, hold it in check, the bible says I can; turn away wrath, produce wisdom, and be a tree of life among other things. However it can also produce death with lies, conceit, slander and gossip. Just like a sharp knife in the kitchen it can be a useful tool or a dangerous weapon.

            This tiny portion of my body can cause so much trouble! The tongue is considered one of the strongest muscles of the body due to its flexibility. But even strong muscles need rest now and then. I believe it is time to ask the tongue to step down from its position as the bossy one. It will be a new battle every day but the victory will be sweet. (Maybe even sweeter than chocolate!)

            James 3:4-6 “Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go.  Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.  The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

            James 3:17 “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece