the mantle of love


You have to love the gentleness of God.  He is present, not pushy.  He is patient beyond measure (all the times I’ve wandered and he continues to love me).  He doesn’t just love, he IS love.  It isn’t that our sins don’t hurt him, they do.  I often wonder, how do I let go of bitterness?  As obvious as it seems right now, following the example of God is how to let go.  He has led by example for eternity, he sent Christ to die for us while we were yet sinners. Time and time again, I fall short of his glory and time and time again, he forgives me and loves me.  Even when I behave as a defiant child, he stands by me, he gently reminds me of his love and forgiveness. It is never withheld.

Why do I feel the need to withhold love and forgiveness from those who hurt me?  How can I possibly feel justified to be unloving when love is all I’ve been shown?  It is an unending struggle between the sinful me and the forgiven me.  The truly cool thing about forgiveness is that it is as much of a blessing to the forgiver as the forgiven.  Revenge and bitterness weigh us down far more than it ever does the one who caused it. The icing on the cake is that when we let go of the bitterness and forgive, it brings glory to God, it is the offering of sacrificial love. We sacrifice our foolish, sinful pride to take up the mantle of love and humility. We love as Christ loves us.  Let it go everyone.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece