Out of the Mouth

 


Genesis 3:14 “God said to Moses, ‘I AM who I AM.’ This is what you are to say to the Israelites: “I Am has sent me to you.”

            I feel the need to make a disclaimer statement up front as I can see what I will write in these next few sentences could be misconstrued. This writing is not claiming that man is God although I will say, that if you have claimed the Holy Spirit lives in you, that identifies that God is in you too.

            How many times a day do you use the phrase “I am…”? Probably much more than you or I realize. This is how God identified Himself to Moses. “I AM who I AM” We often refer to God as the great I AM, which He is. Going back to how often we use the phrase, for myself those two words are often followed with denigrating words like; so stupid, so foolish, so dumb, so angry, so hurt, so fill in the blank. What if each time we thought about those two words and how we identify ourselves we replaced “I AM” with “God is” most of us (I make this assumption because you chose to read this blog) would never make such statements about God and rightly so. I really feel that God doesn’t want us to say these negative things about ourselves. Also the more we say such things the more likely we are to believe them and live a life that is less than we were created for.

            We need to listen to what we tell ourselves as much as we need to listen to each other. Our words should build up. We are made in God’s image and we should live thusly. Before you (or I) get on a rant about our downfalls, let’s stop and think if we would say the same things if we replaced ‘I am’ with ‘God is’? We can change the trajectory of our thoughts. Instead of saying I am stupid replace that with I am learning, I am growing in love, I am growing in patience, I am blessed to have this opportunity, I am fearless, I am confident.

            This little change is like planting the seed that with attention and nurturing will grow into speaking our truth. It will build on our faith and our Spirit. Our words have power to do good and evil, be the good.

            Proverbs 4:23,24 “Above all else guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Keep your lips free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.”

            I Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”

            I encourage you to glorify God with your words of praise to him and how you speak about yourself. What you speak comes from within and the word has the power of life and death. Speak LIFE!

            John 7:38 “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”

           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Masterpiece