Worst-case scenario


            What is it about the human mind that immediately heads to the direction of the worst-case scenario? We hear about a snow storm coming and everyone stocks up groceries as if it were the apocalypse, in reality, the norm is that we might be inconvenienced for a day. I admit there are some storms the necessitate such provision but overall, that is rare.
Facing health challenges causes a similar mindset for many or people might go to the other extreme and not take their health seriously. Then they become bitter and complaining when their bodies respond to the lack of care. Women are especially guilty of not caring for themselves and there are industries dedicated to playing on that guilt. Whatever health issue you are facing there is a business that will capitalize on it. But I digress.
I have been contemplating; what is the worst-case scenario? Many consider it death. Is that really true though? For the Christian, death is the avenue to our eternal life with Christ. Aren’t we supposed to want that? In his letter to the Philippians, Paul writes; “I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:20, 21. I am not advocating that we all hasten our deaths, after all God has placed us here for His purposes.  Nor am I suggesting that devastating situations don’t occur. My thought is to change the perspective of “first-world” problems and reduce some of the anxiety that seems so prevalent today.  Further on in his letter Paul writes; “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6,7
Putting this theory into practice is challenging, no doubt. However, I have found the peace of God to be true in my circumstances. When situations are troublesome, I do my best to focus on God and His great love for me. When we focus on Him, our perspective changes and our situation doesn’t appear so grim.
            As a child, I was never part of the “in crowd” I used to sing hymns to myself for comfort if I felt rejected. One of my go-to hymns was “Heaven is My Home” verse one goes like this:
                        I’m but a stranger here, heaven is my home.
                        Earth is a desert drear, heaven is my home.
                        Danger and sorrow stand, round me on every hand.
                        Heaven is my fatherland, heaven is my home.
The reminder that this life is a temporary setting in the realm of eternity gave me comfort. We don’t belong here, we belong to God, as do our children. The true worst-case scenario is an eternity apart from Christ. Our purpose here on earth it to prevent that scenario from occurring to others, to share the good news of salvation. Not everyone will take that good news and run with it, but it should not stop us from sharing it.
            All this to say, we live in a sinful world and bad things, unfortunate things, poorly timed things and disastrous things will happen. Yet we have a God who is willing and able to guide us through them. Change the perspective, look up not down. Trust and believe.
            Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece