Finish line

            Back in December I had a knee replacement and spent several weeks recovering while on pain medication. This partially explains my absence in the last few months. Today, marks a few memorable occasions in my life. Seven years ago today my husband passed away. Four years ago today my daughter was diagnosed with MS and admitted to the hospital. One year ago today my mother had a serious seizure that landed her in the hospital and accelerated her decline into severe dementia. Today, I ran my first 5K since my knee surgery. My goal was simply to not be last to cross the finish line. I met that goal and even did better than I expected.
            As I ran, jogged, walked and wheezed my way through this race and pondered my goal; I was inspired to think about the ultimate finish line. My goal was related to my own pride.  As a lifelong Christian I have been glad that I am not the last in line to know Jesus as my Savior. However, it can be a trap to think that way, to think that it somehow makes me better to already have him in my life. It makes my life better for sure but this is nothing of which I can be prideful. I can only boast in Christ.  In Matthew 20 we read the parable of the workers in the vineyard; three different groups began working in the field at different times, yet at the end of the day all were paid the same. Those who started the earliest were a bit put out about this. Jesus told this parable to his disciples; even they needed to be reminded that our salvation is due to the grace of God.
            I further considered the idea that many will indeed wait till the very last minute to get on board with Christ, just so they’re not last. But you see, the difference in my goal today is that I knew where the finish line was. In the race of mortality; we do not know when we will cross the finish line.  It is akin to playing Russian roulette, are you willing to spin the barrel of a revolver?

            Matthew 24:36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”  Where is your finish line? How far will you go in this life? Will you run away from him or to him? Don’t wait, life is better with Jesus in it. 

Comments

  1. Great perspective and accomplishment on a day that is obviously difficult!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece