A unit of measure



            The weather warmed up a little today so I bundled up and took Elsa for a walk. Normally, I listen to music when we walk but I decided to spend my time in prayer instead. I was talking to God about my battle with the scale and that I couldn’t get it to move in the right direction, I am frustrated. Then I realized how trivial a few pounds are in the course of human events. But I began thinking about scales, they are units of measurement and we use units of measurement all the time. The bible refers to different units of measure; cubits, the scales of the dishonest man, the measures of justice and so on. Jesus is the ultimate measure for a Christian and I said, I can never measure up to Jesus; that was followed by the thought; but you can measure up through Jesus.
            “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13 It isn’t a novel thought but the revelation that I can measure up through Jesus overtook me. Society wants to dictate how we “measure up” by appearance, salary, homes, luxuries and any other number of truly inconsequential means. Jesus is our yardstick; an impossible unit of measure except for the fact that Jesus doesn’t expect us to measure up on our own. He lifts us up.  It was an incredibly freeing moment.
            Fast forward to worship this evening; the text for the sermon was from Isaiah 40:28-31 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
            There is no measurement for God; we cannot fathom his love for his creation. He understands us better than we understand ourselves. Then, when we fail to hit the mark, he does not condemn us, he renews us! These meandering thoughts are elementary to the believer, yet, today, in this moment, it the reassurance I needed and God provided, as always.
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece