get the lead out


            “Guide me oh thou great Jehovah, pilgrim through this barren land.”  I pray this phrase frequently, especially when I am feeling aimless (which is frequently). Decision making is certainly not a strong suit for me; even supposedly easy decisions like what’s for dinner are challenging. So often I don’t feel God’s leading while I am in the midst of something, it is usually in the retrospective that I become aware that he was indeed leading me.

            While going through something I feel as though I am plodding along. I wonder if God feels like I’m plodding too. I had an image in my head this morning of God picking up each of my feet one at a time and moving them one step forward, rather like I would imagine one moving a mannequin. I know how frustrated I become just getting behind a slow person at the grocery store and that is only a few minutes of my life. I wonder how frustrated God must get with me, does he want to shake me and say ‘C’mon, get the lead out, get moving?’ His word tells me otherwise; 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”

            God wants us to get it right and he does guide us. When we keep his word and commandments in mind we can be sure the decisions we choose are within his will. The two greatest commands we are given are; to love God and to love others as we love ourselves. Love should always be the motive for words and actions and if it is we are bound to get it right.

            We often think of the following verses for weddings but they apply to everyday life too, they are words of clear direction and guidance.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails…”

           

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece