Coward


            If you know me, you know I avoid politics and controversy. I avoid conflict. I am a coward. This is just one example of white privilege. I can afford to never step into the fray because I’m not particularly affected by it on a personal level. I don’t want to be a coward, I want to help promote justice for all people, including and especially, people of color. I have prayed about what I can do to effect change and my power lies in my writings. It is a small power to be sure, but I must use what I can to promote liberty and justice for all.
            I was raised in a white town; we did not have a black family in our town until I was about 14 years old. Racist jokes were common in my house, even applauded at times. I was taught that people of color could not be trusted, they were different somehow. When that first black family did move to town, I wanted to be friendly and get to know them. Unfortunately, when I reached out the hand of friendship the young man reached for my breast. This cemented the ideation that they could not be trusted. It took me some time to overcome that fear.
            Just as white people are varied in morals, beliefs and behaviors, so are people of color. I don’t know why but it took me some years to come to that realization. For that, I apologize. In light of the George Floyd killing by a police officer among many other black men and women who have lost their lives senselessly, the time has come to speak up. The USA is a diverse nation the proverbial melting pot. Regrettably, this diversity has led to divisiveness. There are those who want to maintain the us versus them mentality. They must be stopped.
            We are all brothers and sisters in God’s sight. His word says to love your neighbor as yourself. Yet, we see tit for tat postings on social media. In response to the outcry to be heard from our black brothers and sisters we point the finger back at them for rioting and looting and yes, even killing white men. I don’t agree with those activities, but I get it. Do you? They have struggled for so long to be heard, to get someone to step up and recognize their pain. It is absolute frustration that drives the masses into this action. We say, I hear you but are we really listening? All the violence is just a cry to be heard.
            If we had been listening, someone would have stepped in to save George Floyd instead of videotaping it. So many people watched it happen, including the other officers. Where is the justice in that? If someone had acted, we could rewind the last several days and erase them from history. Although, it is and has been a boiling pot just waiting to overflow. What happened to George is not an isolated incident, it just happened to be caught on video and brings awareness for the rest of us.
            I feel powerless and I now realize (sorry for being a slow learner) that black people have always felt powerless. I have long held the belief that if you are a law-abiding citizen no trouble will come to you. But I have never been questioned by the police asking if I “belong” in a certain neighborhood. I have never had to explain that I am reaching for my ID so I wouldn’t be shot. These are things that black people face daily. Those of us with privilege must begin to stand up and speak up for those without such privilege.
            I want to encourage everyone to look in a mirror and face the truth of your life. What do you fear? Are you able to walk outside freely? Do you know what your neighbor fears? Do you feed his fears or help him to overcome them? I know I have much work to do in my life to improve upon loving my neighbor as myself. May the good Lord help us all!

Comments

  1. Writing has been cathartic for you; I can certainly say that reading these soulful blogs has been cathartic for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How are you?

Out of the Mouth

Masterpiece